A dream doesn't become reality through magic. It takes sweat, determination and hard work.

Friday 7 February 2014

Kenya has become a kill-and-take-the-head jungle

Horrifying as it was, I wasn’t surprised to read about the Kenyan carjackers who tossed passengers out of a fast-moving Githurai bus in Nairobi last week, killing two people and injuring 20 others in one fell swoop.
From media reports and anecdotal evidence, it is clear that Kenya has descended into a kill-and-take-the-head jungle, the ultimate heart of postcolonial darkness, where you can’t always be certain that gangsters haven’t beheaded you to get some Sh500 and a Nokia 110 from your blood-soaked pockets.
During my recent stay in Nairobi, I almost got myself mugged around the Kencom bus stage in broad daylight. A group of young men in fashionable pencil trousers and colour-treated hair seemed to suddenly change their mind about where they were going and started walking towards me as if they wanted to say hello.
Being not a very brave man when I have some money on me (I had just withdrawn cash from an ATM), I sensed immediate danger, and the little hair on my head literally stood on end like the quills of a porcupine.
SPRINTED BACK
To call what I felt “terror” would be an understatement. These are people who can break your medulla oblongata just to take your Sh200 bus fare.
Although my legs are no longer what they used to be, I sprinted back towards Mama Ngina Street, shouting both for help in several languages and praying in tongues that God would rest my soul in peace.
I wasn’t wrong about these apparently rich young men’s mission. At the same spot the following day, as I was about to cross the City Hall Way , I found one of them lying in a pool of blood, probably only a few minutes dead.
I gathered from people at the scene that a group of youths had just mugged a woman, but this bloke wasn’t lucky enough to flee with the rest of the gang. He had sacrificed his life for a laptop.
Part of international cheap labour in the US, I’d only be lying to tell you that I’m a man of means. But I stopped taking matatus home for the rest of the few days I was in town.
USING A CAB
There were horror stories of carjackings, in which bus crews were suspected to work in cahoots with gun-totting criminals who commandeered vehicles to Ngong Forest to rob and terrorise passengers.
I chose the extreme luxury of using a cab every time I came to town to have a drink with my friend and prospective investor, Jay Chege.
I don’t have enough brains to claim to be a theorist, except as a stale joke in my undergraduate classes. But I had for a long time been all sold out for a hypothesis circulating in Nairobi that Kenyan leaders are so cynical that they only think about their safety and their bellies. The hypothesis is half-true and half-false. Like me, Kenyan leaders are not terribly intelligent.
I asked one driver why he was so fond of driving me past State House all the time. (Might he have noticed my presidential eyelashes?) He said that, no “sir” (sic), he was only evading potholes on Route 46, especially after the upscale Yaya Centre, beyond which the elites rarely venture.
All the Nairobi cab drivers I took loved their government to bits, but one of them was sometimes going too far in his tenderness for the presidency. I reprimanded him several times because he was putting my life at risk by stopping in the vicinity of State House to gaze through the windows of what he told me was the private home of the President.
THE PRESIDENT'S HOUSE
I didn’t check when he excitedly asked me to, but the voyeur cried out that he could see from where he sat in the car someone inside the house ironing clothes (maybe the President’s daughter, he said). He said he was hoping to see through the windows “Uhulu (sic) himself”, the man he voted for. Of course he saw nothing, but he imagined he did.
I can’t remember what reason he gave me about how the President’s family acquired land next to State House (willing buyer, willing seller, maybe?).
But the fact that the man could see through the windows of the President’s house from the road, as he said he did, revealed to me how the ruling elites take casually not only our security, but their own as well.
There is this lie that elites in government circulate in the media, that the kind of violence witnessed in Nairobi results from poverty.
Yes, poverty is rampant. Youth have no jobs, and those who have do menial work for less than two dollars a day. But you would be forgiven for thinking that the elites are not the cause of that poverty they blame us for every time they visit violence on us.
I suspect that most of the criminals terrorising us come from well-off families. Only rich people can be this inhuman.
A QUICK BUCK
Like their parents who have made their money on our bent backs, the rich young men, who can’t catch up with an old man on Mama Ngina Street, want to make a quick buck by playing dice with our lives, flinging us out of moving vehicles like a discus.
In the Kawangware slums of Amboseli, Musalaba, and Congo, young people have never tried to mug me. I walk there in the dead of the night — tall like Cain himself! — and all I meet are friendly people. The majority of Kenyans live honestly below the poverty line — no stealing of public land, no railway tender scandals!
Over a bowl of uji, my Kawangware neighbours have often asked me for a solution to the problem of rich kids from Lavington and other affluent neighbourhoods coming to steal our plastic cups and plates, driving their Benzes and wearing pencil trousers. I tell them (jokingly, of course): There’s no difference between rich Kenyans and terrorists. Probably it’s time we drove both groups to Kisimayu.
Prof Evan Mwangi teaches at Northwestern University, USA, and divides his time between Evanston and Kawangware in Nairobi. evanmwangi@gmail.com

http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/Kenya-has-become-a-kill-and-take-the-head-jungle-/-/440808/2197044/-/72ff1sz/-/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment