70s hitmakers Squeeze launched into a fierce attack on the Tories during a live TV performance, as David Cameron sat squirming just metres away.

Performing on the BBC's Andrew Marr show, Singer Glenn Tilbrook rewrote the lyrics to new single "From The Cradle To The Grave" on the fly, to hit out at the Prime Minister's assault on social housing.

He sang: "I grew up in council houses, they're part of what made Britain great.

"But there are some people who are hellbent on destruction of the welfare state."

Mr Cameron was sitting on the Marr Show sofa as the band belted out the savage put-down, after being interviewed earlier in the show.

A BBC spokeswoman said producers had not been aware of Squeeze's protest beforehand.

A Downing Street spokesperson could not immediately confirm whether the Prime Minister is a fan of Squeeze.

Today, David Cameron announced new plans to bulldoze council 'sink estates' , which he said on the programme would be replaced by "affordable housing".

Cheeky: Squeeze couldn't resist a pop at the PM 

But many fear the social housing could be replaced with houses for sale for up to £450,000, after Tory changes to the definition of affordable housing.

Squeeze shot to fame in the 1970s New Wave era, and are best known for their hits Up The Junction and Cool For Cats.

Songwriting duo Glenn Tillbrook and Chris Diffordhave led a revolving line-up of musicians over the years, which included Jools Holland for a time in the group's 70s heyday.

Reuters
Burn: Cameron sat squirming on Andrew Marr's sofa as band ripped into him 

Their latest album Cradle to the Grave, is their first full length record of new material since 1988.

The band have traditionally steered clear of politics in their lyrics.

But in 2013, Mr Tillbrook made his feelings about the Tory government clear to a local website.

"I feel the need to speak out about what’s happening in the country," Tilbrook told WhatsOn North.

"I do OK for myself. I earn good money. I’m secure in my home and my studio. I’m an independent person. If you looked at me you would think I should be a Tory — but I’m very much not. I think we, as a country, are going backwards under a Tory administration ple and demonising immigrants."

The song's original lyrics went: "They say time will wait for no man. They say time is on my side.

"I can never make my mind up. As it all goes whizzing by."